James Crossley's blog Contact: jgcrossley10 - AT - yahoo - DOT - co - DOT - uk

Friday, January 12, 2007

Scripture and Skepticism and the Jesus Project

In the previous post I mentioned about the blurred boundaries between the religious make up of the Jesus Seminar and the forthcoming Jesus Project who are apparently involved with the Scripture and Skepticism conference. But things are more blurred than I thought because James Tabor, a participant in the S&S conference, writes:

Although I am quite happy to be ranked among my superiors as “some of the biggest names in biblical studies today,” I think there is a bit of confusion between the upcoming conference, Scripture and Skepticism, at the University of California at Davis, and the formation of a group called The Jesus Project. Although I and lots of others will be reading papers or giving responses at the conference, this is the first I have heard of any Project of this description. I do think those involved will need to choose a new name since “The Jesus Project” as well as “The Jesus Film Project” are both efforts of evangelical Christian groups trying to carry out worldwide evangelism.

A while back I also received promotional information aside from the wider media promotion where the Scripture and Skepticism conference is tied in with the Jesus Project. But these comments obviously change at least my perceptions of what is happening. Now I have no idea who the scholars making up the Jesus Project (non-evangelical one) are. Perhaps they have broken away from the liberal end (as their comments on the Jesus Seminar might imply).

Can anyone out there shed any light on who will be participating in the non-evangelical Jesus Project? Anyone out there a member?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Luiz Felipe Ribeiro said...

James,

Elaine Pagels participating in this project is kosher?

January 14, 2007

 
Blogger James Crossley said...

Hi Felipe,

Got to say I don't know. Not sure what part she is involved with.

January 16, 2007

 

Post a Comment

<< Home