James Crossley's blog Contact: jgcrossley10 - AT - yahoo - DOT - co - DOT - uk

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

SBL 2008

Just some quick thoughts before moving on... My paper on scholarly reconstructions of the 'Mediterranean' and its overlap with the Middle East, Arab world and so on I *think* had a nice sympathetic audience, or at least it seemed to me. For a time I was a bit concerned that the paper was going to get a reaction from some of the people critiqued in it but they didn't turn up so no fight. Still, in the longer run in particular, the feedback has been worth it and I'm glad there are more more people out there supportive of criticisms leveled against some of the very problematic cultural/social anthropology and its political contextualisation than I pessimistically thought...

There are loads of things to mention which I won't. The Sheffield reception was extremely well attended, including bloggers e.g. Josh McManaway and James McGrath (who gave me a copy of his resurrection book - nice man - which I'll review in due course). And entertaining as ever. Socially, SBL's been up to it usual fun standards and as usual I'll leave that reconstruction to imaginations.

It is really noticeable without AAR. It seems, well, a bit more hushed and serious. AAR was definitely missed.

More when I'm back home and more awake.

5 Comments:

Anonymous steph said...

I'm glad you had a sympathetic audience and that there are enlightened people. I think the session of malinian honour and shamitism was on Saturday too. :-)

November 26, 2008

 
Anonymous Ibrahim A. said...

It is really noticeable without AAR. It seems, well, a bit more hushed and serious. AAR was definitely missed.

Hey, James. Were you at that drinking session in San Diego last year at that bar in the hotel, like, 40 floors up in the clouds? I guess you would miss the AAR... AAR is in Montreal next year, SBL won't be back with it by then, will it?

P.s. I'm living in Bristol now, so if you're even down these parts, lemme know.

November 26, 2008

 
Blogger James Crossley said...

Yes, I remember that bar. Alas, SBL won't be back with AAR until 2011, I think. I didn't know you were in Bristol these days: not a bad place to be at all.

November 26, 2008

 
Blogger A.Walker said...

Is there any chance you have/will be posting your paper on-line for us dilettantes who didn’t go to the SBL conference?

November 28, 2008

 
Anonymous J. C. Baker said...

James,
I was there to hear your paper and regretted that I could not stick around for the discussion and to chat with you afterward. As a (younger) member of the Context Group, I must say that there are many of us who recognize the issue that you raised and are attempting in our own work to stop the equation of Mediterranean with Middle Eastern. In fact, one of our sessions this year was devoted to reexamining the honor/shame model. Zeba Crook's paper on "Renovating the house that Bruce Built" was an exceptional work illustrating the kind of critical scholarship the Context Group needs to move forward. Thanks for you paper; it was indeed stimulating.

December 01, 2008

 

Post a Comment

<< Home